Houston’s Spinach and Artichoke Dip
I’ve never liked spinach but after trying this recipe at a Houston’s restaurant in midtown New York City, I was hooked. I made this dish for my wife’s birthday party and many of the guests said it was the best spinach dip they’ve ever tasted!
(2) 10 oz. boxes frozen spinach – thawed
1/4 cup real butter
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoon minced onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pint heavy cream
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup grated fresh Pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar
12 oz. jar artichoke hearts – drained, coarsely chopped
1. Strain spinach and squeeze through a cheesecloth to remove as much liquid as possible; mince; set aside.
2. In heavy saucepan over medium heat, sauté garlic and onions in butter until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
4. Slowly whisk in cream and stock and continue cooking until boiling.
5. Once boiling, stir in lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, and Romano cheese; stir until cheese has melted.
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
7. Stir in sour cream, then fold in dry spinach and artichoke hearts.
8. Sprinkle cheddar evenly over top.
9. Microwave to melt cheese and serve.