Banana Cake Recipe
Banana cake is easy to make and great to use up browning bananas.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
200 g butter, plus 1-2 tbsp extra for greasing
1-2 tbsp cocoa powder
300 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 ripe, medium bananas
3 tbsp milk or soured cream, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
125 g light soft brown sugar
100 g caster sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
40 g dark chocolate, grated
icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Thoroughly grease the inside of a 2.5 litre cake ring tin, making sure that you grease all the creases. Dust the pan with cocoa and tip out any excess.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ½ teaspoon of salt. In another bowl, mash the bananas and stir in the milk or sour cream and vanilla.
3. Cream the butter and sugars until pale, light and fluffy – about 3 minutes in a stand mixer or with an electric whisk. Gradually add the eggs, mixing well and scraping down the side of the bowl between each addition. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients, followed by the banana mixture. Add the chocolate and mix gently until smooth and thoroughly combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan, spread level and bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 30–40 minutes or until well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
5. Allow the cake to rest in the pan for no more than 2 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve.