Artichoke & Kale Dip – Dips and Spreads Recipe
A party standby, everybody needs a recipe for artichoke dip! Why not add some kale, too, for good measure? P.S. This makes a great filling for sandwiches.
2 (14-ounce) boxes frozen artichokes
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
5 large handfuls kale
2 shallots, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
unrefined sea salt, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup pine nuts
white pepper, to taste
pinch of nutmeg
1 slice whole grain spelt bread
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the artichokes on a large cookie sheet and drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and salt to taste. Roast for 40 minutes. Remove the artichokes from the oven and set aside to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 350ºF.
2. Use a knife to finely chop the kale. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; add the shallots and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, kale, and lemon juice, and cook until the kale is completely wilted, about 2 minutes. Set the shallot and kale mixture aside.
4. Add the water, pine nuts, white pepper, and nutmeg to a Blender; process until smooth and creamy. Add the roasted artichokes and process again. Spoon the artichoke mixture out of the Blender and transfer to the skillet with the shallots and kale. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Transfer the artichoke-kale mixture into a small casserole dish and set aside.
5. Clean the Blender container out and add the bread and remaining 1 teaspoon oil; process into very fine crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the artichoke-kale mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve warm.