Applebee’s Santa Fe Chicken
Experience the flavor of the Southwest with this popular grilled marinated chicken dish. Serve over a bed of rice
pilaf with mixed vegetables.
8 boned, skinned chicken breast halves
8 oz. block Monterey jack cheese – divided
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 small red bell pepper – seeded, diced
1 small green bell pepper – seeded, diced
1. Place 1 chicken breast between two sheets of wax paper. Working from the center to the edges, pound with a
meat mallet until flat and rectangular shaped. Repeat with remaining breasts.
2. Cut half of the cheese block into 8 slices; grate the remaining cheese and set aside.
3. Wrap each flattened chicken breasts around a slice of cheese; secure with wooden picks or uncooked
4. Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, cumin, and pepper.
5. Roll the secured chicken pieces in the melted butter and then in the bread crumb mixture.
6. Place chicken breasts in a 13 x 9 x 2″ baking dish, being careful not to crowd them.
7. Drizzle remaining butter over the breasts.
8. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze to bake later (if you decide to freeze, increase baking time by about 5-10
9. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
10. Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour, whisk in milk, then bring to a simmer.
11. Stir in grated cheese, reduce heat, and simmer until thick, stirring.
12. Place chicken on plates, pour sauce over, and top with diced peppers.